What can I do if my Visa has expired?

We often get asked questions about the expiry of visas.  Here are our answers to some of the common questions.

How can I know whether my visa has expired?

You can check your visa advice at any time through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO). This can give you information about your visa’s expiry date in addition to any conditions attached to your visa or other requirements.

It’s vital that you’re aware of your visa’s expiry date.

Note: companies as well as other organisations may also be generally required to check conditions and an individual ‘s visa status, including their right.

What should I do?

You need to visit an immigration office instantaneously if your visa has expired.

You need to bring evidence of any airline bookings, your passport or alternative identity documents, proof and, if you are intending to depart you have made a plan.

Community Status Resolution Service (CSRS) officers can allow you a bridging visa while you work with us to finalise your immigration matter. A bridging visa is a short-term, temporary visa that enables one to stay in Australia lawfully until your immigration issue is finalised.

If you continue in Australia without a valid visa you risk being placed in immigration detention and removed if you are located included in the section’s compliance operations. It is important you take action and contact the CSRS.

Will I be detained?, If I come into an office

The department normally doesn’t detain people if they work toward finalizing their immigration matter with the Department.

The Australian Government created the Community Status Resolution Service (CSRS) to give individuals working in Australia or living the opportunity to re engage and work out their immigration status. This approach is provided instead for people working with us.

In these circumstances, we could grant you a bridging visa to let you stay in the community temporarily until your immigration matter is finalised.

Don’t the government just try to make people leave Australia?

Not necessarily, the government’s aim is to ensure that you keep a lawful visa status while you are in Australia.

Community Status Resolution Service (CSRS) officers will clearly explain immigration or departure choices. This consists of realistic information about your eligibility in the event that you intend to submit an application for a visa to stay in Australia. However, you need to be prepared that a visa is denied, you’ll be expected to depart.

What do I do if my passport has expired?

You’ll have to have to organise one through your country’s embassy or consulate as soon as possible, in the event that you do not possess a valid passport or travel document. If you want help and you also don’t hold a visa or only hold a Bridging visa E (BVE), you need to contact the CSRS.

Do I have to pay to talk to the Community Status Resolution Service (CSRS)?

No. You do not need to cover to speak to a CSRS officer.

If I actually don’t have a visa and make an effort to leave Australia, will I get stopped at the airport?

You are able to leave Australia without a visa that is valid. But immigration officers may counsel you in the airport before your departure.

What if I actually don’t have a visa to stay, but I’m not sure about going home either?

IOM is an independent, global organisation which has supplied neutral advice to many people in this case. IOM can allow you to be sure you have all the info you should make a determination about returning home.

For more information, you are able to contact IOM – International Organization for Migration from anywhere in Australia. Phone: 1300 116 986 (local call price)

I would like to leave Australia, but I can not afford it.

In the very first instance, the government expects individuals to make arrangements to buy a ticket home, which might mean seeking help from friends or family. Eligible individuals who want to leave Australia but who need some support to achieve this can be helped by IOM.

Can I just stay on a bridging visa in Australia?

No. A Bridging visa E (BVE), like all bridging visas, is a temporary short term visa given by the section while you work out an immigration issue that is excellent. It isn’t an immigration solution. There will be particular states attached to some bridging visa that you must follow.

You may need to provide the operator with some details, if you want to learn more particular information about your circumstance.

You’ll need to come to be able to make an application for a bridging visa if you do not currently hold a valid Australian visa.